Tuesday 27 November 2012

Anyone for a air bubble eye injection?

Well as the title suggests I had air bubble injected into my eye today and no, not just for the sake of it :)  It will hopefully to help clear the liquid which is causing the cloudiness   At this exact point in time it is still blurry but was told to expect this and will take a week or so to see if has helped at all.  In a way I'm fed up the new graft isn't working out like the 1st one did on the other eye but then I realise things like this aren't straight forward and I am lucky enough to have good sight in one eye.  There are people who are far worse off than me and I am grateful for all that's been done for me so far.

Anyhow back to the juicy stuff!  So I turned up for my 10am appointment, at this stage was a bit nervous but thought hey they know what they are doing.  Within not too long was taken through to the operating theatre. Was stopped outside by a nice lady who checked I am the real Oliver Loveless and not some guy pretending to be me to get his hit of air bubble magic in the eye!  Once passing the identity test she proceeded to put drops in my eye, a nice concoction of anaesthetic drops and iodine   She then asked after final drop "Did that sting?"  My reply no, she said well good because usually it would like mad so now you are ready to go in!



Upon walking in there were a few people dotted around doing various things, a man called Tom took the job of handler and told me where to sit and how etc and what will happen. And that would be holding his hand throughout in case I had to indicate I needed to cough or sneeze so the surgeon could stop what he was doing hence preventing stabbing me by mistake!  Once all ready to go, the music was turned up, stereotypically opera, they could of asked me what I preferred and could of stuck The Stereophonics on.  At this point my consultant.surgeon flew in like superman to do the op.  I laid back, two stickers, a clamp and a large blue sheet later I was ready to be operated on.



This was odd, what looked like the largest robotic arm ever hovered above me and then BOOM, a bright white light shone into my eye, jeeeez it was bright!  Toms hand took a bit of a squeeze at this point but advised was just the bright light.  The next think I knew a needle was being inserted and a large bubble began to appear on surface of my eye.  At this point you might be trying to imagine what this is like.  I have an idea, while its raining stand at a window, get your partner or mate to shine a massive torch through the otherside, and press your face against the window so your eye is peering through a large water droplet and hey presto you know!  Well add a bit of pain in there for good measure if you wish!  This beloew photo is not my eye as cant be bothered taking a photo and connecting up to laptop tonight, but it essentially minus the redness looks similar bubble wise



So 15 minutes of lying there looking up and was all done.  Can now sort of see the bubble, looks odd.  I am back in 48 hours for check up, and just another waiting game.  Overall one of the weirdest things been through but I believe from reading about it that it is a widely used procedure for naturally making a donor cornea grip to the new eye, apparently the bubble press's it together so it sticks and no stitches are needed.  Obviously I already have stitches and hopefully isn't going anywhere but this should, well the theory is, that it will clear the unwanted liquid by dispersing it through pressure.  I shall report back soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment