Monday 22 October 2012

Nearly a week!

Wow a week does go quickly even when you cant really do much or see out of one eye much.  The first 24 to 48 hours were a pain, literally.  But apart from that since then its been fairly pain free and just more of an annoyance really.  From my first experience of the graft in the other eye and from what the consultant says its just the eye getting used to the stitches.  This is all fair enough but when you have spent 28 years giving your eye a good old rub when something gets in it, it is pretty difficult to resist this.  Somehow you do though, its difficult to explain but something in your head just stops you from doing this.  Even with my robocop eye guard I still don't think I would rub it because there's that voice in my head saying you do that and you will be in bigggggggg trouble!



So in terms of vision a lot of people planning to have their transplant will be very eager to see improvements and I am no different.  But have to keep reminding myself takes not only quite a while for it to settle but also then there's no guarantee it will be much better on its own.  But it should improve the ease of fitting glasses and especially contact lenses.  Glasses I am totally ok with and actually like wearing them but contacts are my arch rivals and I will avoid them unless I really have to!  And that's something I know I will least give a go again.  Ironically last time I tried a lense on the left eye the opthamologist asked me if I knew of any new KC friendly lenses we could try and order!  Though don't get me wrong there are lots of amazing lens fitters out there like the world renowned Lynn White, but there are also ones in my experience in the NHS that maybe have the skills but not the resources to back it up which is no fault of their own.   Or maybe more importantly the time to research KC lenses more as they tend to try and get you in and out quicker than Felix the skydiver fell from space!



So what's next? No I am not going to sky dive 5 metres higher than Felix unfortunately, instead I have another check up on Thursday and touch wood all be going ok.  It would obviously be nice if the blurry/cloudiness cleared a bit but Ill deal with this regardless if its an issue that might need sorting in the future or if its just part of the recovery.  I am hoping the latter but either way am extremely grateful for chance to improve my vision from the people who donated their cornea's.  Oh and I have managed to use my laptop to write this so good to know my left eye is up to the job, now here's hoping for the right in time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment