Monday 8 October 2012

Pre Op Hospital Visit

Just a quick update tonight.  I went to my local hospital, which is the Norfolk and Norwich in the UK which has a excellent eye department.  (Cant complain about the NHS, been excellent to me over the years, all for free)  My appointment was with the same surgeon who did my transplant in 2005.  He checked the issue that I had Saturday with the graft and is more than happy that everything is OK and has put me down to 6 drops a day on the drops which stop inflammation.  I am pleased with that as hourly in the only eye I can see in was causing problems with the vision.  My vision is nearly back to normal, still slight affects from the dilating drops.

So what's the next step?  Everything was also good with the right eye which will have the remaining transplant on the 16th.  As long as I stay generally well and no flu or colds it will be fine to go ahead with the transplant.  In a way doing this blog and twitter is helping me not get too worked up about it as that's easily done.  I guess having gone through it before in some ways is good because I know what to expect but also in some ways its not great because I am remembering how much of a long slog the recovery time is.  The main bonus is this time I can see out of the left eye.  In 2005, I had a new cornea which had variable vision for least a year or so and a right eye with severe KC.  That was extremely hard work just doing everyday things.

Anyway if anyone reading this wants to keep up in real time with how things go please follow me on twitter @cornealgraft

I will be tweeting more from the 16th when it all takes place.  Have to say big thanks to my wife also for putting up with me as know I am not the best patient!

That's it for now, thanks for reading

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment